Something You should Know: In the cosmetic industry, who owns whom?
Posted March 5, 2010on:
—–Updated on March 15th, 2010. Many thanks to Poppy for the info on YSL
So today I was talking with a friend online, and she asked me a really good question: In the cosmetic industry, who owns whom? I remember talking briefly about the major cosmetic groups in My Beauty Philiospohy post: Estee Lauder, L’Oreal, Procter & Gamble, Johnson & Johnson, Beiersdorf, Unliver, and Louis Vuitton-Moet Hennessy (LVMH). Let me list out all the major cosmetic brands you are familiar with in the market, and give you a general idea which parent companies they belong to.
- Estée Lauder owns: Aramis, Aveda, Clinique, Bobbi Brown, M.A.C, Origins, Jo Malone, La Mer, Tommy Hilfiger fragrances, Bumble + bumble, American Beauty, Flirt, Good Skin, Grassroots, Michael Kors Beauty, Darphin, Ojon, and Donna Karan Cosmetics.
- L’Oreal owns: Maybelline New York, Garnier, Lancôme, Helena Rubinstein, BioMedic, Vichy, Biotherm, Shu Uemura, Kiehl’s, Soft Sheen-Carson, Redken, Matrix, Kerastase, Giorgio Armani, Inneov, Sanoflore, CCB Paris, Dermablend, The Body Shop, Skinceuticals, Ralph Lauren, La-Roche-Posay, and Yves Saint Laurent.
- Procter & Gamble owns: Cover Girl, Max Factor, Anna Sui, Olay, DDF, Aussie, Camay, Clairol, Head & Shoulders, Herbal Essences, Ivory, Infusium-23, Pantene, Fredric Fekkai, Gillette, Noxzema, SK-II, and Zest.
- Johnson & Johnson owns: Neutrogena, Aveeno, Clean & Clear, RoC, Rogaine, Lubriderm, Purpose, and Ambi.
- Beiersdorf owns: Nivea, La Prairie, Eucerin, and Juvena
- Unilever owns: Dove, Pond’s, Vaseline, and Sunsilk
- Louis Vuitton-Moet Hennessy (LVMH) owns: Dior, Guerlain, Givenchy, Benefit, Fresh, Make Up For Ever, and Sephora’s namesake line.
- Shiseido owns: Cle de Peau (CDP), Dicila, Ipsa, Ettusais, Carita, Decleor, Ayura, Asplir, DeLuxe, Selfit, Whitia, Pure & Mild, Kesho Wakusei, Yuxia, 5S, NARS, Maquillage, Aupres, JS, Za, UNO, Jean Paul Gaultier cosmetics, and Issey Miyak.
I hope this list will make us all smarter shoppers in the future.